Jul 15, 2024  
2014-2015 Catalog 
2014-2015 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration Information



New students for fall semester must register for their initial semester during the New Student Orientation held each summer. 

If you are a degree-seeking freshman, you must contact the Student Success Center. Staff there will help you identify an advisor who will assist you in planning your schedule. The approval of the academic advisor is required of degree-seeking freshmen with fewer than 30 credit hours earned.

Continuing or returning students may register for subsequent semesters during any registration period. Mandatory advising is also required of students becoming juniors and seniors. See your academic advisor or department for help with Registration Clearance.

Designated registration “windows” are based on student classification, and access is granted in the following order: graduate students and seniors first, followed by juniors, sophomores, freshmen, and finally, new students. 

For help with registration concerns and information about adding/dropping classes or complete withdrawal from the university, contact the Student Business Center. The office is located on the second floor of the University Center, with office hours from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday. They can be reached by phone at 740.351.3403.

Identification Cards

Identification cards are issued to enrolled Shawnee State University students by the Office of the Registrar and serve as identification for charging books to your Financial Aid account, using the Library, utilizing meal plans in the cafeteria, and participating in student activities. You must register for classes before receiving your I.D. card.

Improper Registration

Admission or registration may be canceled by the director of admission or the registrar in cases of improper registration or when false or incomplete information is provided on the application for admission, registration forms, or other official documents. In such cases, you will be notified in writing as to the action that was taken and the reasons for such action.

Selective Service Registration

To be eligible for state educational assistance programs, male students between the ages of 18 and 25 must register with the Selective Service System, unless they are on active duty with the armed forces of the United States (other than the National Guard or reserves) or legally excluded.  Ohio residents who are not registered or have not indicated they do not need to register by the first day of the semester are required to pay the out-of-state tuition rate. You can register with Selective Service in the year you become 18, and you must complete registration by 30 days after your 18th birthday. Selective Service registration can be accomplished in a few minutes at any U.S. Post Office or online at http://www.sss.gov/. If you wish to indicate exempt status, you can request the necessary form from the Student Business Center.

Residency Information

A nonresident surcharge is assessed to any student who does not qualify as an Ohio resident for subsidy and tuition surcharge purposes. You are treated as a resident of Ohio and are assessed in-state fees if:

  • You are dependent upon at least one parent or legal guardian who has been an Ohio resident for the 12 months preceding your enrollment.
  • You have been a resident of Ohio for the 12 months preceding your enrollment and during this time you have not received financial support from outside the state.
  • You are the dependent child of a parent or legal guardian, or the spouse of a person who, as of the first day of your enrollment, has accepted full-time employment and established a domicile in Ohio for other reasons than gaining the benefit of favorable tuition rates.

You may also qualify if you are self-supporting while in Ohio pursuing a part-time course of study (conditional residents), are stationed in Ohio while on active duty in the military or have been an Ohio resident while involved in active duty military service prior to enrollment, have worked as a migrant in Ohio, or have been requested to be out of the country by your employer. If you qualify under one of these conditions, your dependents may qualify as well.

Proof of residency may be presented in a Request for Resident Classification to the Office of the Registrar. This form and all documentation must be submitted by the following deadline dates in order to be effective for the desired semester:

  • April 1 for summer semester
  • July 1 for fall semester
  • December 1 for spring semester

Retroactive residency determinations cannot be made for tuition surcharge purposes.

For information on residency, conditional residency, Selective Service requirements, or to receive a Request for Resident Classification, visit or call the Student Business Center at 740.351.3403.

Notification of Rights Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
  4. The right to file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failures by the State University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
  5. The right to obtain a copy of Shawnee State University’s student records policy. You can obtain a copy of the policy from the Office of the Registrar.