Jun 20, 2024  
2009-2010 Catalog 
2009-2010 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Fees and Financial Aid


Fees and Expenses


Registration fees are payable at the Bursar’s Office prior to the opening of classes and in accordance with instructions issued with your bill. For students registering during late registration, fees are assessed as part of the registration process and are due at that time. If you make changes to your class schedule, please be sure to come to the Bursar’s Office to get a revised bill or go to http://www.shawnee.edu, click on “Current Students,” then click on “MySSU” and print a copy of your bill. No additional bills will be mailed to you as a result of dropping and adding classes.

The Bursar’s Office is located on the second floor of the University Center. This places it near the Offices of the Registrar and Financial Aid and should make it easier for you to—in one place—take care of the ‘‘business’’ of going to college.

Fees may be paid by cash, check, money order, Visa, or MasterCard. It is important that you retain all fee receipts. Payment of fees owed is a prerequisite for continuing enrollment, and you should have sufficient funds (cash and/or financial aid) to cover expenses. Shawnee State University is not required to furnish services (registration, transcripts, etc.) to a student with unpaid fees.

Student Load

Students scheduled for 12-18 credit hours are considered full-time students. Students scheduled for fewer than 12 credit hours are considered part time students. The permission of the registrar is required for you to schedule over 18 hours of credit. A maximum of 21 hours may be attempted, if permission is granted. Please refer to the fee schedule for the rate per credit hour.

Certain students are restricted from carrying a course load greater than twelve hours. These students include first-time entering freshmen placed into two or more developmental education courses and any student placed on academic probation for a second consecutive semester. A student affected by this policy may appeal to the director of the Student Success Center. In special cases, when this policy would jeopardize a student’s participation in a degree program, a department chairperson may also request to waive the twelve-hour limit.

Semester Tuition


Special Note Regarding Fees

The fees listed below are current for the 2007- 2008 academic year for “new” students (first term of attendance — Summer 2002 or after). Current fees for “continuing” students (first term of attendance Spring 2002 or before) are available from the Bursar’s Office or by accessing the SSU website — www.shawnee.edu/off/brsr/tuition.html. All fees are subject to change. Shawnee State University reserves the right to make, without prior notice, any fee adjustments that may become necessary.


Pursuant to current reciprocal agreements between the University and Kentucky institutions, students residing in the following Kentucky counties — Boyd, Carter, Elliott, Fleming, Greenup, Lawrence, Lewis, Mason, Rowan — may attend Shawnee State at Ohio resident rates. This reduction in fees is the result of a reciprocity agreement made by several colleges and universities in the area. This fee structure is subject to possible modification or cancellation.

Undergraduate Students


Full-Time (12-18 hours)

Instructional Fee $ 2,592.00
General Fee 288.00
Technology Fee 36.00

Total Tuition (Ohio Resident) 2,916.00
Out-of-State Student Fee 2,172.00

Total Tuition (Out-of-State) 5,088.00

Part-Time Students (Fees are per credit hour, up to 11 and above 18)

Instructional Fee $ 216.00
General Fee 24.00
Technology Fee 3.00

Total Fees per cr. hr. (Ohio Resident) 243.00
Out-of-State Student Fee 181.00

Total Fees per cr. hr. (Out-of-State) 424.00

Graduate Students


Full-Time (9-16 hours)

Instructional Fee $ 3,633.00
General Fee 102.00
Technology Fee 28.00

Total Tuition (Ohio Resident) 3,763.00
Out-of-State Student Fee 5,265.00

Total Tuition (Out-of-State) 9,028.00

Part-Time Students (Fees are per credit hour, up to and including 8 and above 16)

Instructional Fee $ 404.00
General Fee 11.00
Technology Fee 3.00

Total Fees per cr. hr. (Ohio Resident) 418.00
Out-of-State Student Fee 585.00

Total Fees per cr. hr. (Out-of-State) 1,003.00

Miscellaneous Student Fees

Bad Check $ 50.00
Credit by Arrangement  
  Tuition and Fees (as provided in the undergraduate and graduate sections on pages 29 and 30)  
  Administrative Fee (per credit hour) 150.00
Credit by Exam 150.00
Education Field 196.00
Graduation Petition 55.00
Graduation Re-Petition 10.00
Health Sciences Application 30.00
ID Card Replacement 10.00
International Student Application 65.00
Lab Fees see below
Late Payment (Short Term Loan not selected) 180.00
Late Payments on Short Term Loan (max. $255.00 per semester)  
  First Late Payment 60.00
  Second Late Payment 40.00
  Third Late Payment 40.00
  Fourth Late Payment 40.00
Parking Tag Replacement 25.00
Private Music Lessons  
Short Term Loan (payment plan) 10.00
Transcript 10.00

Graduation Petition Fee

See the above list for the graduation fee. You are not billed for this fee. It is your responsibility to pay the fee when you submit your petition to graduate. Your eligibility to graduate is determined by the registrar after you petition for graduation.

Health Science Application Fee

A nonrefundable health sciences program application fee must accompany all health science admission applications.

Course / Lab Fees

A current schedule of special courses/lab fees is available in the Office of the Registrar. Formulas for the fees which exist at the time of this catalog’s printing are listed below.

Course fees are charged when the department code appears in the far right column of each course listing.  The fee is calculated by multiplying the number of credit hours for the course by the amount shown for the department below:

                                                                                               Fee Per Credit Hour
                                                                                                      $ Amount



ARTS (tier 1) 7.00
ARTS (tier 2) 15.00
ARTS (tier 3) 25.00
BUSI 10.00
DTHY 25.00
EDUC 15.00
EMTP 20.00
ENGT 22.00
HUMA 3.00
MATH 5.00
MLTC 20.00
MOT 75.00
NSCI 16.00
OTAT 20.00
PTAT 15.00
RDLT 20.00
RPTT 20.00
SSCI 10.00
SSPE (activity) 5.00
SSSM 15.00

                                                  Flat Rates


EDU1 294.00
EDU2 147.00


Student fees listed here are the Fall 2009 and Spring 2010 Semesters and are subject to change.  Shawnee State University reserves the right to make, without prior notice, any fee adjustment that may become necessary.

Transcript Fee

The University will produce an official transcript upon written request from the student. See the above list for the transcript fee.

Responsibility for Fees

A student may register for classes by submitting a registration form in person or via the Web. With the act of registering, a student promises to pay all tuition and fees for the quarter. This financial obligation may only be discharged by paying in full, by choosing the Short Term Loan option, by having adequate financial aid to pay the fees, or by withdrawing from Shawnee State University by the published deadlines. Please review the SSU course schedule, published in advance of each semester, for details.

Short Term Loan

Shawnee State University provides a Short Term Loan (a payment plan option) that can help you with the payment of tuition, books, and certain fees. Information about the Short Term Loan is available in the Bursar’s Office.

Bad Check Policy

Payment of fees owed is a prerequisite to official enrollment, and you should have sufficient funds (cash and/or financial aid) to cover these expenses. A check returned for insufficient funds is a federal offense and constitutes nonpayment of your obligation to Shawnee State University. Therefore, any student who has a check returned for insufficient funds shall be subject to all related fees; and, until the same is cleared, the student shall be considered in noncompliance with institutional policy and may be administratively dismissed. Any student administratively dismissed due to a bad check has no recourse for readmission for the current semester.

Student Insurance

Student health insurance coverage is available to all full-time students. If you wish to participate in this plan, please complete and return the enrollment form along with your payment to the insurance company. Enrollment forms may be picked up in the Bursar’s Office.

Refund of Fees

Continuing students dropping hours through the fourteenth day of the semester, when such changes result in a reduction of fees, are entitled to receive the reduction. Changes made after the fourteenth day of the semester result in no refund. Students who officially withdraw/drop from Shawnee State receive a refund, if due, based upon the following schedule. If you do not officially withdraw or drop, you are not eligible for any refund and fees assessed are due and payable.

Withdrawal/Drop Dates

Full Semester  
1 to 7 calendar days 100% of Tuition
8 to 21 calendar days 90% of Tuition
22 calendar days 0% of Tuition

Please Note: Questions concerning the above information should be referred to the Bursar’s Office. Students wishing to see examples of these refund calculations may do so in the Bursar’s Office.

Late Payment Policy

A late payment fee is assessed when you fail to make payment in accordance with the due dates established by the Bursar’s Office. Such fees are assessed in accordance with the fee schedule approved by the University’s Board of Trustees.

Room and Board


Shawnee State University provides apartment-style residence halls within walking distance of all campus facilities. Students living on campus have access to a full service, buffet-style cafeteria in the University Center. Estimated 2007-2008 rates for each residence facility on campus are listed below.

Housing Application Deposit   $ 150.00
First-time applicants, refundable (less a $35 administration fee) if housing cancellation notice is received, in writing, 30 days prior to first day of summer or winter semesters or postmarked no later than April 30 for upcoming fall semester.  
Communications Fee per semester  $ 102.00
telephone, cable, and internet services    

Campus View Rates

  per academic year $ 4,692.00
Double Occupancy per semester 2,346.00
Private Room per academic year 5,622.00
  per semester 2,811.00

Carriage House Rates

Double Occupancy per academic year $ 4,682.00
  per semester 2,341.00

Cedar House Rates

Double Occupancy per academic year $ 4,266.00
  per semester 2,133.00
Private Room (available as space permits) per academic year 5,114.00
  per semester 2,557.00

University Townhouse Rates

Double Occupancy per academic year $ 3,872.00
  per semester 1,936.00
Private Room (available as space permits) per academic year
  per semester 2,365.00
Please see the special note regarding fees.    

Meal Plans

Campus residents, with the exception of senior students, are required to have a meal plan, which is not included in the housing rates listed above. Select from the following listed options:
19 Meals per week (required for all freshmen)   $1,359
15 Meals per week   1,271
12 Meals per week   1,123
Sophomore, junior, or senior students may select any of the above options. Senior students may choose not to participate in any meal plan.

Financial Aid


An extensive financial aid program is available to supplement your and your family’s contributions toward the cost of education, as well as to recognize academic achievement and special talents. The Financial Aid Office is responsible for the processing and awarding of all types of federal, state, private, and institutional funds to students.

Types of Financial Aid

Financial assistance falls within two categories—gift and self-help aid. These aid programs may be awarded on the basis of merit, financial need, or a combination of both. Grants are aid, based on an analysis of your and your family’s ability to contribute to the cost of education. Scholarships are considered merit awards. Scholarships and grants do not have to be repaid. Loans, however, must be repaid by the borrower.

Gift Aid


The Financial Aid Office administers a number of special scholarships for students who demonstrate a high degree of academic ability or special talent. Scholarship information can be obtained on the Financial Aid web page at www.shawnee.edu/off/fa/scholarships4.html. Please apply online or contact the Financial Aid office at 740.351.4243 for assistance. The deadline for scholarship applications is February 15 each year. Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should be submitted by February 15 for need-based scholarship consideration.

Through the generosity of others, Shawnee State University has the ability to offer a number of scholarships.  Some scholarships are based on academic ability and individual achievement, while others are based on financial need. Most of these scholarship funds are administered through the Development Foundation and the Scioto Foundation. Click here for a complete listing of scholarships available through the Development Foundation (Adobe Reader is required).


  • Federal Pell Grant. Pell Grant funds are awarded based on expected family contribution, enrollment status, and the cost of education.
  • Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG). The ACG is available for full or part time, first and second year students who receive Pell, have successfully completed a rigorous high school program, and meet a minimum cumulative grade point average.
  • National SMART Grant. The SMART grant is available to third and fourth year, full or part time students who receive Pell, maintain a minimum grade point average, and are majoring in a select area of study.
  • Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant.  The TEACH grant is available to graduate and undergraduate students who intend to teach full-time for at least four academic years within eight years in high-need subject areas at schools that serve low-income students.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG). SEOG is a federal grant awarded to undergraduate students on the basis of exceptional financial need beyond the Pell Grant. These funds are limited to the amount allocated to the University by the U.S. Department of Education.
  • Ohio College Opportunity Grant (OCOG). OCOG is a state-funded grant available to Ohio residents. Award amounts are based on the expected family contribution as determined by the FAFSA. Deadline for application is October 1 of each year.

          Please Note: Under the OCOG program, you must be enrolled in an eligible associate or bachelor degree program.

Self-Help Aid

Student Loans

Federal Direct Loan. The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program includes subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Direct loans. The interest on a subsidized loan does not start to accrue until you graduate, drop below half time, or withdraw from school. The federal government pays the interest for you while you are in school. Payment of principal and interest does not begin until six months after you leave school, and you have up to 10 years to repay the loan.

You may also be awarded an unsubsidized Federal Direct loan. Interest on this loan is not government subsidized; interest begins accruing at the time the loan is disbursed. You may choose to pay the interest while you are in school or have the interest added to the principal loan amount (capitalized).

As with the subsidized Federal Direct loan, payment of principal begins six months after you leave school and you have up to 10 years to repay the loan.

Students must be enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours for undergraduate students, 5 credit hours for graduate students) to be eligible to receive a Federal Direct loan.

Freshman (0-29 hours)    $ 5,500
Sophomore (30-59 hours)    $ 6,500
Junior/Senior (60+ hours)    $ 7,500
(Loan limits also apply to dependent undergraduate students whose parents were denied a PLUS loan.)
Freshman (0-29 hours)   $ 9,500
Sophomore (30-59 hours)   $ 10,500
Junior/Senior (60+ hours)   $12,500
Graduate   $20,500

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan. Additional opportunities to borrow are available through the Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) program. Students should apply for, and finalize, a Federal Direct loan before applying for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan because a Parent PLUS loan could reduce the Federal Direct loan amount for which a student is eligible. (For most families, the terms of the Federal Direct loan are more attractive than those of a Parent PLUS loan.)

Federal Direct Parent PLUS loans allow parents to borrow up to the full cost of education minus other financial aid (including the unsubsidized Federal Direct loan). Parent PLUS loans are not dependent upon your family’s income or assets; however, a credit check is required. No collateral or cosigners are required.

The Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan must be used for educational expenses at the school the student is or will be attending. Repayment begins 60 days after disbursement, at a fixed interest rate of 7.9%, each academic year. The parent borrower is responsible for all interest from the day the loan is disbursed.  The parent borrower may qualify for an in-school deferment if his/her student is enrolled in school at least half time.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. Additional opportunities to borrow are available through the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan. The GRAD PLUS loan is a credit-based loan available to graduate students to help meet the total cost of attendance.

GRAD PLUS loans allow the graduate student to borrow up to the full cost of education minus other financial aid. GRAD PLUS loans are not dependent upon income or assets; however, a credit check is required. No collateral or cosigners are required.

Repayment begins six months after you leave school, at a fixed rate of 7.9%. The student is responsible for all interest from the day the loan is disbursed. The GRAD PLUS loan borrower may qualify for an in-school deferment.

Please Note: For more information on how to apply for a Federal Direct Loan or PLUS loan, Click here.  If you withdraw from the University, you are not eligible for your next semester’s loan check and you must reapply if you wish to continue receiving student loan funds.


  • Federal Work Study (FWS). The FWS program is available to students who demonstrate financial need through the completion of the FAFSA. All vacant positions are posted on SSU’s Federal Work-Study web page at www.shawnee.edu/off/fa/cws/employ.html. It is the student’s responsibility to secure an interview. You must stop by the Financial Aid Office to obtain an “Authorization to Hire” form before being interviewed. You are paid in accordance with current policy and, in most cases, work 10-20 hours per week. You are paid, based on the number of hours worked, every two weeks with the regular university payroll. Indicate on the FAFSA that you are interested in a job. You may apply for work study throughout the year in the Office of Financial Aid and will be placed on a job availability basis.
  • Student Employment. Regular student employment is available to all full-time university students, regardless of financial need, on the basis of current openings. Please contact the Office of Career Services for further details.

Veterans, State Programs

Veterans receiving the GI bill and students receiving assistance through approved state agency programs (Vocational Rehabilitation, National Guard, etc.) should contact the Office of Financial Aid for assistance with course and attendance requirements and tuition payment.

Consortium Agreements

During the course of your academic career at Shawnee State University, you may want to take a course at another institution to transfer back to your degree program at SSU.  You might be eligible for financial aid to help cover the cost at both institutions.  To do this, you must complete a Consortium Agreement with both schools.

A Consortium Agreement is a contract between two colleges or universities that recognizes your registration at each location for financial aid purposes.  It also certifies that only one of the two institutions will award your financial aid. 

In a Consortium Agreement, the colleges or universities are referred to as the “Home Institution” and the “Host Institution”:

  • The Home Institution is the school that will award the student the degree.
  • The Host Institution is the school where the student is temporarily taking courses to transfer back to the Home School to meet degree requirements.

Application Procedure

To apply for federal need based financial aid you must complete the U.S. Department of Education’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can apply on the Web at www.fafsa.gov. The form may also be obtained from your high school counselor or the Financial Aid Office at Shawnee State. The FAFSA should be submitted as early as possible beginning in January preceding the academic year.

We recommend that you complete your FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 in order for your FAFSA results to be received by the University.

Eligibility Requirements

To receive Title IV federal aid (PELL Grant, Academic Competitiveness Grant, SMART Grant, TEACH Grant, Federal Direct Student loan, Federal Work Study, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant) you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, a national or permanent resident of the U.S., or be in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose.
  • Comply with U.S. Selective Service registration requirements.
  • Be enrolled in a degree-granting program.
  • Be making satisfactory academic progress as defined by Shawnee State (see SAP below).
  • Not be in default on a Federal Perkins loan, a Federal Family Education loan, Federal Direct Student loan, or Federal Supplemental loan from any school, agency, or lender, or owe a repayment on any Title IV funds.
  • Have a valid social security number.
  • Have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent of a high school diploma.

Determining Need

The Federal Methodology (FM) is the calculation used by the federal government to measure your eligibility for assistance. Some federal aid programs require that you show need after the income and (in some cases) assets of your family, as indicated on the FAFSA, have been considered. The Financial Aid Office uses the need analysis information from the FAFSA to determine the amount you and your parents are expected to contribute toward your education. Consideration is given to your and your parents’ adjusted gross income, assets, taxes paid, number of dependents, number attending college, and other factors as appropriate.

The FM performs a separate analysis of income when 1) your parents adjusted gross income is less than $50,000 a year and your parents were eligible to file a 1040A or 1040EZ tax form, or 2) your parents do not file a tax form with the IRS.

If you are independent, you (and your spouse, if applicable) are expected to assist in your educational costs. Your expected contribution is calculated from previous years’ earnings, untaxed income, and a percentage of savings and assets.

The following formula is used for calculating financial need.

    Cost of Education
Expected Family Contribution
    Calculated Financial Need

Notification and Disbursement

After your FAFSA needs analysis and other documents have been received and reviewed, you are notified either by mail or via your MySSU account of any awards for which you are eligible. If you are adjusting or declining any of the awards, you must return the award letter indicating the change to the Financial Aid Office.

All awards are subject to revision due to changes in federal funding, student eligibility, clerical errors, failure to provide requested documents, or other circumstances beyond our control.

Federal Aid recipients must be officially enrolled in a degree-granting program to receive any type of financial assistance. All requested documents used in verifying the data provided on the FAFSA must be received by the Financial Aid Office before financial aid can be disbursed.

Disbursement dates and procedures vary depending on the type of assistance. Generally, financial aid awards are credited toward your account each semester. When your grants and scholarships are greater than your university charges, you are issued a refund.

Refunds are mailed approximately three weeks after the semester begins. Aid awarded throughout the semester is refunded weekly following the original disbursement dates.

Withdrawal Policy for Financial Aid Recipients

Title IV Funds

If you receive Title IV financial aid and withdraw from Shawnee State, the amount of aid earned and unearned will be calculated using the Federal Return of Title IV Funds policy. This policy is a formula that measures the percentage of days enrolled during a semester. The percentage is determined by dividing the number of days enrolled by the number of calendar days in the semester, including weekends. Based on this percentage, Title IV financial aid will be prorated to reflect the amount of aid that was earned during the period of enrollment. The amount of aid that is earned will remain on your account and the amount of aid that is unearned will be returned to the appropriate program. Title IV funds will be returned in the following order:

Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans
Subsidized Federal Direct Loans
Federal Direct PLUS Loans
Federal Pell Grant
Academic Competitiveness Grant
National SMART Grant
Federal SEOG
Federal TEACH Grant

To learn more about R2T4 and to view a sample calculation, Click here.

Unofficial Withdrawals

If you stop attending Shawnee State and do not officially withdraw, it is considered to be an unofficial withdrawal and subject to the above withdrawal policy. The date of withdrawal will be the latest date based on a student’s attendance at an academically related event. If the last date of attendance is not known, the midpoint of the semester will be used as the withdrawal date. If you never attend all of the classes for which you have registered, you are considered to be an unofficial withdrawal. It is determined that you have not earned any financial aid. Therefore, all aid will be returned to the appropriate program.

Standards of Satisfactory

Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal legislation requires Shawnee State University to define and enforce Standards of Academic Progress for students receiving federal financial aid. Failure to meet these requirements will result in the loss of federal aid until action is taken to regain eligibility. This policy is established for students who are receiving financial aid from one or more of the following programs: (1) Federal Pell Grant, (2) Academic Competitiveness Grant, (3) National SMART Grant, (4) Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), (5) TEACH Grant, (6) Federal Work Study, (7) Federal Direct Loan, and (8) Federal Direct PLUS Loan.

Standards Requirements

Maintain Grade Point Average

Students must meet the grade point average requirements as defined in the ‘‘Academic Policies’’ section of the current Shawnee State University catalog. The student’s cumulative grade point average will be reviewed each semester to ensure the following:

Credit Hrs. Attempted  GPA  
Up to 27 1.00  
28-36 1.30  
37-43 1.55  
44-50 1.80  
51-57 1.90  
58 and above 2.00  

Complete 66% of Attempted Credit Hours

Satisfactory progress will be evaluated each semester. Following the first semester for which the student fails to meet minimum credit hour requirements, the student will receive a financial aid probation letter. Following the second consecutive semester, financial aid will be suspended. Students who receive the following grades are considered to have attempted those credit hours: withdrawals (WD), incomplete (I), no credit (NC), failure (F), not reported (NR), and all passing grades (A, B, C, D, P). Course repetitions (R) count as hours attempted.

Complete Your Degree Within a Specified Time (150% of Graduation Requirements)

The financial aid regulations permit a student to use financial aid until the student has attempted 150 percent of graduation requirements. Bachelor degree students are eligible to receive federal aid through the semester in which they attempt to earn their 186th credit hour. Associate degree students are eligible to receive federal aid through the semester in which they attempt to earn their 90th credit hour. Master degree students are eligible to receive federal aid until they have attempted 150 percent of graduation requirements.

Additional Definitions and Explanations

Attempted: “Cumulative number of hours” are the total hours attempted at Shawnee State University during all enrollment periods, irrespective of receiving financial aid. Course repetitions (R) count as hours attempted. Total hours attempted may include no more than 30 semester hours of developmental education credits.

Hours Earned: Successful completion is measured by the number of “hours earned’’ recorded on the student’s academic transcript at the end of the evaluation period.

Academic Year: For purposes of measurement of progress, academic year is defined as enrollment during any or all of the following semesters: summer, fall, and spring.

Enrollment Status: Federal financial aid recipients must be enrolled in approved degree or certificate programs.

Federal Direct Student Loans: In addition to the progress requirements listed above, federal regulations require that students progress from one grade level to the next before they are eligible to receive additional loan amounts. Students in associate degree programs may be certified for loans only at the freshman and sophomore levels.  Students must maintain at least half time enrollment to be eligible for student loans.

Enrollment in a Second Degree: Students seeking federal financial assistance and pursuing a second associate or second bachelor degree must submit a degree audit to determine grade level for federal loan certifications.

Failure to Maintain Satisfactory Progress

Students who fail the grade (qualitative) portion of the requirement are notified of their probation, or dismissal status by the Office of the Registrar.

The first time a student does not complete successfully the hours passed (quantitative measure), he or she is placed on financial aid probation. The deficiency must be satisfied in the next semester of attendance. If the student does not achieve the required number of credit hours or earn credit for all attempted hours at the end of the probationary period, he or she is suspended from financial aid.

Suspension Due to Non-Attendance

Federal regulations require adjustment of financial aid awards for students who do not begin attendance in all classes upon which the awards were based. Adjustments are based on registrar records, including add/drop and withdrawal forms. Students are required to repay adjustment amounts. Students who do not meet repayment terms are suspended from financial aid. (See appeal section.)

Reinstatement of Financial Aid

Unless eligibility is reinstated through appeal, students remain ineligible until that time when they are again in compliance with the standards. It is the responsibility of students seeking reinstatement to request the Financial Aid Office to review their records when they believe they are again in compliance with the requirement.


Students may appeal to the director of financial aid. Students must submit a letter explaining the reason(s) for the failure and may be required to submit a degree audit from the student’s adviser or other supporting documentation. If the director denies the appeal, the student may request, in writing, that the appeal be reviewed by the Financial Aid Advisory Committee.

Extenuating Circumstances Regarding Appeals

The major acceptable circumstances for making an appeal are the documented personal illness of the student, serious illness or death of an immediate family member (mother, father, sister, brother, husband, wife, child, legal guardian), or enrollment in a bachelor’s program requiring more than 124 credit hours or an associate program requiring more than 60 credit hours.

The maximum number of credit hours attempted is considered to be adequate and fair under the progress policy. Change of major field of study, completion of developmental courses, or transfer of credits normally are not considered satisfactory grounds for appeal for additional time, but such appeals may be submitted using the process indicated above.

Unacceptable circumstances for appeals are: continued enrollment while seeking admission to an academic program (i.e., health science) or the prior non receipt of Title IV aid since this is irrelevant to maintaining satisfactory progress in the course of study.

Comments about the Progress Requirement

Students are encouraged to work with their academic advisers, the Student Success Center, the counseling center staff, and Student Support Services’ staff to receive study skills and tutoring assistance.

Students who withdraw from courses after the official add/drop period and students who receive grades of F,WD, NC, R, and I greatly increase their potential for failing to meet the progress requirement.