Shawnee State University has designed its Honors Program for students with exceptional academic ability and curiosity. The courses designated as fulfilling the Honors Program give these students unique opportunities for reflection, discussion, and investigation while also fulfilling certain standard graduation requirements. The program brings these students together in a challenging but supportive environment which nourishes their intellectual, social, and creative growth.
- Honors Classes. Honors classes are specially designated sections of the General Education Program (GEP). Honors classes emphasize writing as well as critical and analytical thinking, and other skills relevant to the course. In addition, students are encouraged to think independently and creatively. Honors students graduating with a four-year degree are required to take six specially designated GEP classes (18 semester hours) for Honors. One of these must be Senior Seminar for Honors. Honors students graduating with a two-year degree must take three (9 semester hours) specially designated GEP courses for Honors.
Any SSU student with a minimum GPA of 3.3 or higher may register for an Honors course without officially joining the Honors Program, at the discretion of the instructor and program director, provided there are sufficient places in the course for Honors students.
Honors Activities. The Honors Program offers several events, specifically designed for Honors students, each academic year. These events may focus on a theme or topic of interest or special significance or may be designed to provide an opportunity for enhancing the community of Honors students.
Honors Program Admission Requirements
- Admission as a Freshman. Admission into the Honors Program is selective and attempts to build a community that has the characteristics of a selective admission college or university within the larger population of Shawnee State. Incoming freshmen students who have applied for or have accepted admission at SSU may be offered an opportunity for admission in the Honors Program under the following criteria:
- Evidence of significant scholarly achievement in high school (generally in the upper 10 percent of their graduating class or a high school GPA of 3.5 or higher);
- Or a score of at least a 26 on the ACT or combined 1,220 on the SAT;
- Completion of a one-page essay, answering the questions: 1) Why do I want to be in the SSU Honors Program; and 2) How do you believe you will be able to contribute as a leader to our program? (Required)
- Two letters of Recommendation (may be from teachers, coaches, school counselor, youth leaders, community service supervisors, employers) (optional)
- All materials must be received by March 1 to be considered.
- Transfer Admission. Transfer students may qualify for admission into the Honors Program based on their prior academic achievement at their previous college or university. Students who have maintained a minimum GPA of 3.3 at another institution of higher education may be offered admission into the Honors Program. Transfer students who have taken relevant Honors courses at other institutions may request that up to nine semester hours of appropriate classes be applied to the Honors Program at the discretion of the program director or the provost. At least nine hours of Honors coursework must be completed at Shawnee State.
- Admission of Current SSU Students. Any Shawnee State student with a minimum GPA of 3.3 may be admitted into the Honors Program.
Honors Graduation Requirements
- Honors Program Diploma for Bachelor’s Degrees. Students are required to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.3 and satisfactorily complete six courses (18 credit hours) of specially designated Honors sections of the GEP. Nine hours, which include Honors Senior Seminar, must be completed at Shawnee State University. As well, students are required to complete at least six community service projects over the course of their academic career at SSU.
- Honors Program Diploma for Associate Degrees. Students are required to satisfactorily complete any nine semester hours of specially designated Honors sections of the GEP and maintain a minimum GPA of 3.3 at Shawnee State. As well, students are required to complete at least three community service projects over the course of their academic career at SSU.
For further information about the Honors Program, contact Dr. Mich Nyawalo, Director, Honors Program, Massie Hall, room 422, phone 740.351.3480, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Provost’s Assistant, ADM 015, phone 740.351.3472.