2017-2018 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Psychology/Pre-Master’s of Occupational Therapy (3+2) BA
The Purpose of the 3+2 program is to provide a way for highly qualified students with a desire to obtain a Master’s degree in occupational therapy to complete their undergraduate degree requirements in three years and begin Shawnee State’s Master’s of Occupational Therapy (MOT) program at the end of those three years. Students accepted into the 3+2 program are guaranteed entrance to the MOT program, provided they maintain appropriate progress toward their degree and appropriate academic standing (as described below).
Admission to the 3+2 program is highly selective and competitive. A maximum of 10 applicants will be admitted each year. The first step is to submit an online admission application to Shawnee State University. The online application form can be found at myssu.shawnee.edu/ics/.
To be considered, students must:
- Place in ENGL 1102 in Fall semester, freshman year (information on English placement can be found at www.shawnee.edu/off/ssc/placement.html).
- Place in STAT 1150 in Fall semester, freshman year (information on Math placement can be found at www.shawnee.edu/off/ssc/placement.html).
- Have a minimum ACT composite score of 25.
- Have a minimum high school GPA of 3.5
- Complete a one-page, autobiographical, personal statement highlighting why you wish to become an occupational therapist, any observational experience you have had with occupational therapy, and other relevant experiences you would like to be considered.
- Two letters of recommendation (may be from occupational therapy supervisors, teachers, school counselor, coaches youth leaders, employers).
For the 2014-2015 academic year, applications should be received by December 1, 2013 to be considered for early acceptance into the program (letters of acceptance will be sent in mid-January 2014). Final application deadline for consideration is due by April 1, 2014.
Applications should be mailed to:
Dr. Rhoni Maxwell-Rader
Professor of Psychology
Social Sciences Department
Shawnee State University
940 Second Street
Portsmouth, OH 45662