The Women’s Center at Shawnee State was established in 2006 to help empower, educate, and advance women on campus and in the community. The goals of the Center include:
- Increasing awareness of gender-related issues affecting the status of women within academia and the workplace.
- Addressing through focused initiatives the specific concerns of women within Appalachian culture.
- Providing a forum for discourse regarding issues affecting women at SSU.
- Encouraging the establishment of academic courses and programs that provide the opportunity for concentrated study of women’s issues, while serving as a resource to the women’s studies academic minor.
- Offering programming that increases the level of self-esteem and personal expectations of all women.
- Creating an atmosphere where all women are valued, treated with respect, and afforded the same opportunities available to others within the university community.
- Offering space for meetings, study, programs, and discussions.
The Center coordinates various activities throughout the school year to realize these goals. Faculty, students, administrators, and staff can opt to become a Friend of the Women’s Center to help plan such events or merely to support them. Contact the director for more information.
Currently, a women’s studies minor is available to students at SSU. The minor is designed to complement many existing degree programs. It enables students to study the roles of women in society and their various contributions over time. By doing so, students broaden their cultural and intellectual perspectives in significant and meaningful ways and, in the process, give themselves an impressive edge with employers. The minor benefits students studying for careers in politics, medicine, social services, education, law, and business, as well as those planning to pursue graduate degrees.
For more information
Roberta Milliken, Ph.D., Director
Women’s Center, Massie Hall, Room 019
Shawnee State University
940 Second Street
Portsmouth, Ohio 45662-4344
Fax: 740.351.3501 (Provost’s Office)
Our Commitment to Your Success
- The goals of Shawnee State’s women’s studies minor include:
- Fostering an appreciation of all women’s contributions to our society and the world.
- Complementing and balancing existing programs and courses.
- Fostering critical thinking about historical and contemporary gender roles.
- Fostering critical thinking about society’s understandings of sex and gender.
- Promoting an appreciation of diversity.
- Promoting the equitable treatment of all members of society.